Change of Alien Registration


Alien Registration Cards are being faded out and changed to Resident Cards (在留カード). Current Alien Registration Cards are still valid, and there is no need to change to a Resident Card until your current card expires or you have a change in name, address or visa status. The new Resident Cards are being distributed by the Immigration Bureau in AomoriCity.

Long term foreign residents can now receive a certificate of residence from the city hall.

In accordance with the new system, a change of residence must be reported at city hall (please remember to bring your resident card), but changes in visa status and renewal of your visa no longer needs to be reported to the city hall.


*Visit the Immigration Bureau of Japan’s homepage for detailed information on the new registration system in 26 languages.